Harborne Academy Trust – Governance
Harborne Academy is a registered company limited by guarantee (Company Number 07310176). It is also a registered charity.
The Company’s members are:
- Birmingham Metropolitan College Corporation (the Academy’s sole sponsor)
- Principal and CEO of the Sponsor (currently Clifford Hall)
- Chairman of the Full Governing Body (currently Anthony Dennant)
Full Governing Body (FGB) and Committee Structure
The FGB (also known as the Board of Directors) is made up of the following:
- Up to 8 Sponsor Appointed Governors
- Up to 3 externally appointed governors
- 1 Staff Governor
- 1 Parent Governor
- Head Teacher (ex-officio)
It meets at least six times each academic year. At least three of those meetings have a sole focus on academic performance. In addition to the FGB meetings, there are two committees – the Finance & Resources Committee and the Audit Committee which meet on a termly basis. The two committees report to the Full Governing Body at which broader issues are discussed and agreed. Membership of the Committees is broad and based around governors’ skills mix.
Finance & Resources Committee
The Finance & Resources Committee is responsible for the sound management of the Academy’s finances including planning, probity and monitoring. It oversees the management of the budget as well as monitoring staffing.
Finance and Resources Committee Membership:
- Anthony Dennant (FGB Chairman and Chairman of the Finance and Resources)
- Jeanette Prole (Sponsor Appointed Governor)
- Jessie Elbaz (Head Teacher – Ex-Officio Role)
- Kamran Hashmi (Parent Governor)
- Michelle Cradock (Sponsor Appointed Governor)
- Zakia Shah (Sponsor Appointed Governor)
The Audit Committee is responsible for overseeing the process for providing assurances to the FGB that risks are being adequately identified and managed. It is responsible for reviewing the risks to internal financial control and agreeing a programme of work that addresses these risks and, so far as is possible, provides assurance to the External Auditor.
Audit Committee Membership:
- Wendy Stevens (Chair of Audit)
- Helen Land (Sponsor Appointed Governor)
- Lydie Suana (Staff Governor)
- Sue Woodward (Sponsor Appointed Governor)
- Tim Jones (FGB Deputy Chairman and External Governor)
Calendar of Governors Meetings
Please click here to view the current calendar of meetings. For information on the protocol for attending governors’ meetings, please contact the Company Secretary:
Tel: 0121 503 8579
Additional Governor Involvement
Keeping In Touch Sessions for Governors (KITs)
Throughout the year, there is a planned calendar of monthly “Keeping in Touch” sessions (KITs) for governors whereby they are provided with a briefing or update on a particular topic that is either of national relevance or specific to the Academy.
Link Governor Scheme
Governors are linked with specific areas within the Academy as set out below:
Outside of governors meetings, governors are heavily involved in academy life. They attend a wide range of events including awards ceremonies, student productions and parents’ evenings.