Harborne Academy Trust – Governance
Harborne Academy is a registered company limited by guarantee (Company Number 07310176). It is also a registered charity.
The Company’s members are:
- Birmingham Metropolitan College Corporation (the Academy’s sole sponsor)
- Principal and CEO of the Sponsor (currently Clifford Hall)
- Chairman of the Full Governing Body (currently Anthony Dennant)
Full Governing Body (FGB) and Committee Structure
The FGB (also known as the Board of Directors) is made up of the following:
- Up to 8 sponsor appointed governors
- Up to 3 externally appointed governors
- 1 Staff Governor
- 1 Parent Governor
- Head Teacher (ex-officio)
It meets at least three times each academic year. In addition, there are two committees – the Finance & Resources Committee and the Audit Committee which meet on a termly basis. Broader issues are discussed and agreed at the two committees and both committees report to the Full Governing Body. Membership of the Committees is broad and based around governors’ skills mix.
Finance & Resources Committee
The Finance & Resources Committee is responsible for the sound management of the Academy’s finances including planning, probity and monitoring. It oversees the management of the budget as well as monitoring staffing.
Finance and Resources Committee Membership:
- Anthony Dennant (FGB Chairman and Chairman of the Finance and Resources Committee)
- Sue Woodward (Interim Executive Head Teacher Ex-Officio Role)
- Jeanette Prole (Sponsor Governor)
- Zoe Lee (Sponsor Governor)
- Vacancy (Parent Governor)
The Audit Committee is responsible for overseeing the process for providing assurances to the FGB that risks are being adequately identified and managed. It is responsible for reviewing the risks to internal financial control and agreeing a programme of work that addresses these risks and, so far as is possible, provides assurance to the External Auditor.
Audit Committee Membership:
- Louise Banks (External Governor)
- Hafeez Din (Staff Governor)
- Tim Graylen (External Governor)
- Rosina Morris (Sponsor Governor)
Calendar of Full Governing Body and Committee Meetings
Please click here to view the current calendar of meetings. For information on the protocol for attending governors’ meetings, please contact the Company Secretary:
Tel: 0121 464 2737 Ex: 1012
Additional Governor Involvement
Keeping In Touch Sessions for Governors (KITs)
Throughout the year, there is a planned calendar of “Keeping in Touch” sessions (KITs) for governors whereby they are provided with a briefing or update on a particular topic that is either of national or local relevance or specific to the Academy.
Link Governor Scheme
Governors are linked with specific areas within the Academy as set out below:
- Anthony Dennant - Leadership and Management, Sixth Form and Business Support
- Tim Graylen - Parent Engagement
- Rosina Morris - Safeguarding, SEND and Behaviour
- Jeanette Prole - Teaching and Learning and Student Outcomes
Outside of governors meetings, governors are heavily involved in academy life. They attend a wide range of events including awards ceremonies, student productions and parents’ evenings.