FOOD & NUTRITION
Food & Nutrition is a subject which is based upon teaching key life skills through ensuring students develop a thorough understanding of nutrition, healthy eating, food provenance and the working characteristics of food materials. At its heart, the subject focuses on nurturing students’ practical cookery skills to give them a strong understanding of nutrition.
Students complete a unit that teaches the following:
- How to understand and apply the principles of nutrition and health.
- How to cook a repertoire of predominantly savoury dishes so that they become skilled in making meals for a healthy and varied diet.
- Competency in a range of cooking techniques including: selecting and preparing ingredients; using utensils and electrical equipment; applying heat in different ways; using awareness of taste, texture and smell to decide how best to season dishes and combine ingredients
- The functional properties of food.
- An understanding of the source, seasonality and characteristics of a broad range of ingredients.
We will provide learners with experience of using different cooking techniques and methods to enable them to use these within further education or apprenticeships. It will give them a basic understanding of the skills required for a career in food.
· Insight into food preparation and cooking incorporating core of knowledge and theoretical content with broad-ranging applicability
· Looking at the food industry and its occupational areas and specialisms.
· Health and Safety, Environmental Health and Food Hygiene.
· How to create high quality food products and acquire a number of practical and technical skills.
Which careers can this course lead to?
Studying food and nutrition can lead to exciting and well paid career options. Consumers are becoming increasingly reliant on the food industry to develop solutions for their nutritional needs. This course could lead you into roles such as a Chef, Food Product Developer, Buyer (who travels the world sourcing new food products for manufacturers), Food Safety Inspectors, Nutritionists, Dieticians, Quality Managers, Teacher, Food Engineer, Food Scientist, Food Technologist, Food Photographer, Food Stylist, Home Economist, Hotel and Restaurant Manager, Microbiologist, working in food magazines, radio and television – for more information on food careers please visit www.tastycareers.org.uk